Monday, March 12, 2012

reluctantly healthy

I did not want to workout today.

It's Conference Week, so the usual hour of abs workout after school ala DVD didn't happen.

Gf #1 said, 'Oh that's right. I guess I'll do the torture yoga tape instead...'

Hmmm, bringing home the abs tape to my home to workout did NOT occur to me.

Gf #2 called after school. 'Feel like playing tennis?'

"Well, no...it's cold, it's getting darker, it's windy..I don't know where my racket is. Do you have tennis balls? I don't have tennis balls....whine, still getting over my cold... whine whine... "

I was pathetic. You should have heard me. I'm surprised she didn't laugh at me, but she simply let me off the hook, and said she'd head out to the gym for a workout instead.

I'm not, by nature, a go out and let's sweat kind of gal. I'm more of a cozy-up-under-a-blanket-and-knit kind of person. Earth Dog is my Chinese horoscope. I sit, and I stay.

BUT...one aspect of future retirement is being healthy enough to enjoy it. And it's a struggle for me. I sat and thought of my harder working cohorts of fitness. Both older by 5, and more determined and disciplined by a factor of 5. I sat and argued and struggled with myself for a good 30 minutes, before I got up and made myself gear up for a short ride.

A short 16 miles later, I felt better. I always do. My gfs would have approved.

Now it can rain.

No comments: